Sunday, January 20, 2013

A conflict between two worlds

Intro: While doing this assignment I realized something about myself and that is that I’m in a constant battle with two worlds. This is the elephant in the room that I hadn’t notice before. Instead of writing about my ancestors and where I come from. I decided to write about my problem when I look in the mirror.

While looking at myself in my bedroom mirror, I see a young Hispanic. He has brown eyes, black hair, and brown skin. This Hispanic lives in a society that he doesn't belong to, despite the fact that its all he knows. The society that he is suppose to be apart of is a distant memory, that has blurred over time. He was born in Mexico but was raised in the United States his whole life. This is where the conflict arises.

I look more deeply into the Hispanic boy's eyes, and I see two worlds. In the left eye I see a Mexican flag, and in the right eye I see an American flag. These two worlds have one thing in common with the Hispanic boy, and that is that he doesn't seem to fit in either one.

The boy has the physical characteristics to fit very well in the Mexican world, but his lack of knowledge of his culture, sets him apart. When it comes to the American world, he knows it quite well but his physical characteristics set him apart.

The Hispanic boy longs to be able to fit in both worlds someday. Its a border/boundary that is quite difficult to overcome. But when he smiles, one can automatically tell that he is up for the challenge.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post. While I can't relate to the feeling of not belonging in the culture and country where you've been raised, I can imagine that it'd be quite difficult. It's interesting how you talk about how you don't belong in Mexico because you haven't been raised there and how you don't belong in the US because you are Hispanic. I especially liked your imagine of seeing the Mexican flag in one eye and the American flag in the other. That's a really neat image for what you're experiencing. I hope and am confident that you will be able to find your place in both cultures and countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was very interesting to read. Although I can't relate totally with your situation, I can relate to not knowing where I belong, in a more symbolic sense. It's always a hard thing. But I really appreciate how you have processed/are still processing this situation. It's interesting how you begin with saying you're "supposed" to fit into one culture, but this changes throughout the post. I especially like the last paragraph. I think it would be an interesting dynamic to feel a connection to two completely different worlds, but I also think it could be really cool. I love your positive outlook on working to find a place in yourself where you really do feel connected to both at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the simplicity with which you discuss such a difficult subject. I think that keeping it short portrays the struggle, as it seems you are almost lost for words about your identity. The imagery of the flags in your eyes does a good job of directly referencing your struggle in a creative manner. The last paragraph is very strong. It is almost a relief after the tense, struggling feelings portrayed in the rest of the entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you took your insight into your inner struggle and made it the core of this post. I also appreciate your offering your personal experience here to the class, because you highlight one or more of the borders we will be talking about this semester--the borders we internalize. I like the way you bring it all together with a smile at the end, which shows your positive attitude, something that can go a long way towards helping you weather this struggle. Did the ideas of Richard Rodriguez resonate with you, as he writes about going back and forth between the English-speaking school and his Spanish-speaking home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is from Olivia: It's fascinating to see how you realize the difference in cultures which make up your background and future. I love the illustration of seeing one flag in each eye, representing where you belong. It's also interesting to see that you recognize a conflict with this. It's interesting to see that you feel more comfortable in an American environment versus a Latino one. I can connect with that in the same way since I was raised in America since I was 6 months old and adopted into a white family. I love that you are ready to settle this inner conflict with yourself! Great post!

    ReplyDelete