Sunday, January 13, 2013

My name is Isaias Faustino but friends and family call me Toby. This is because my grandma called me that name a lot. This is my first time using a Blog account and it is quite confusing. I don't seem to have a good handle on this "yet", but I hope with time I get use to it.

I created this blog mainly for a class called Crossing boundaries. When I first heard the name of the class, I could see a relationship between it and my family. My family is originally from a small town in Puebla, Mexico. The town wasn't very wealthy and the chances of prospering weren't very good during the 1990's. So my family decided to migrate to the United States in search for a better future. They ended up staying in Goshen, Indiana ever since I was 2 years old.

When I hear this experience from my parents and uncles, I can see how they had crossed into a new boundary. Not only was it hard leaving family back in Mexico, it was even harder for them to adapt to this new world. This was due to them not knowing any English or anything about the culture. It was a struggle for them a few years but soon they got the hang of things. Also before you knew it, more of our family started to migrate because of this adaption.

So with all this being said, I am really looking forward to hear and learn more of people crossing boundaries. I find experiences like these very interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Toby, thanks for posting this introduction and telling us a little bit about your family and your experiences with Border Crossing. You'll have a lot to contribute and I hope you'll enjoy the class. When I was in Merida, Mexico a few weeks ago at a poetry conference, I heard a reading by poets from Pueblo via a webcast.

    ReplyDelete